Address: Radisson Blu Hotel, Sjøgata 7, 9008 Tromsø
Aurora Safari Base Station is our well-established comfortable and social Northern Lights Safari to our perfectly located private base stations with local hospitality and high chances of Northern Lights.
We have seven private and safe Base Stations located in different areas to cover different weather regimes and giving us a hit rate of 85% last season. We have a local host, warm shelters (lavvu or other building), toilet facilities, thermal winter suits and tripods, as well as campfires and benches outside (N.B: The campfire is subject to weather conditions).
The system involving Base Stations is unique to Tromsø Safari. Based on our experience of more than 15 years, around 4,000 Northern Lights Safaris, the latest weather forecast, wind direction and the hosts at the Base Stations, we choose the Base Station or stations with the best chances of clear sky and, therefore, of experiencing the Northern Lights.
If the weather changes and clouds move in, we check with our network if it would be better to move to another location. And if so, we finish our meal, hot drinks and “lefse” before leaving to look for clear skies somewhere else. In these circumstances, we will stay along the roads searching for a clear sky.
Our focus on this trip is always to show you the Northern Lights!
What to bring: Warm clothes & boots, hat, scarf and mittens
• A knowledgeable and dedicated English-speaking Northern Lights guide
• Transport by comfortable coach with on-board toilet
• Beautiful Northern Lights video shown on the coach
• Hot chocolate, coffee, tea and a sweet local cake (lefse)
• Access to high-resolution photos taken on the tour rom the base station available from our web page (choose "YOUR PHOTOS" from the manu bar).
• About 20 warm overalls for use during the stay at the Base Station
• About 10 tripods for use during the stay at the Base Station
Extra: Hot soup or stew (vegetarian alternative on request).
We offer hot soup at the Base Station. We serve locally made soup. Depending on the base station, the soup is either fish or reindeer meat. There is also a vegetarian alternative. The hot soup should be ordered no later than 16.00 (4pm) on the day of the tour. Unfortunately, we are unable to cater for special dietary requests.
Season: Daily from 19 October 2019 to 31 March 2020.
Duration: 5-7 hours
Number of guests: 2-45 (1-2 buses per base station)
Level: Very easy. Suitable for children from 4 years old. No wheelchair access